Episode #126 - Name Calling
Click the picture to listen to the episode.
We are diligent to make sure that our kids don’t call other people names, right? Yet, in many of our homes…and cars, our kids hear us calling people names all the time. Things like, “If they are pro-choice, they are just baby killers!” “If they are not for gun control, they want kids to die!” “He’s nothing but a commie!” “She’s nothing but a Nazi!” or “All those people are terrorists!” We can’t ask our kids to do something we are not willing to do ourselves. Listen in as the guys talk about why we should, metaphorically speaking, of course, put a sock in it!
Links to information discussed in the show:
Solution to Name Calling:
- Realize you do it
- If I am doing it, I am being exactly like my child
- Realize it is a lazy thing
- Realize it is not a good example to set for our children
Billy Myers: www.therapywithbilly.com
Take a Seat on the Couch:
If this episode hits home for you. If you believe you and your family struggle with this particular area, read below for next steps for you and your family:
1. We should seek to put ourselves in another person's shoes instead of calling them a derogatory name.
2. Likewise, we should teach our kids the skill of empathy.
3. Modeling kindness is worth more than teaching it in word only.
4. If you'd like more help in this area, contact Jimmy and Josh at The Timothy Center. Just go to www.timothycenter.com.