Click the picture to listen to the episode.
This week Jimmy and Josh delve into the impact and importance of our family of origin. FOO in psychology circles. Not only did you not leave your FOO when you got married or left your home as an adult. Your FOO still has a strong influence on who you are and where you’re going.
Links to information discussed in the show:
Why do we do what we do?
Ways our parents influence us:
1. intentionally emulating them
2. anti-example (we purposely reject who they were)
3. via osmosis
Ask your spouse how you are like your family of origin
Recognize how you are like your family of origing
Choose to stop
Dr. Jimmy Myers on Twitter: @docjimmymyers, Instagram: @jmyersfam, and Facebook: @docjimmymyers
Dr. Josh Myers on Twitter: @docjoshmyers, Instagram: @docjoshmyers, and Facebook: @docjoshmyers
Billy Myers: www.therapywithbilly.com
Take a Seat on the Couch:
If this episode hits home for you. If you believe you and your family struggle with this particular area, read below for next steps for you and your family:
1. Be soft enough to admit that your FOO impacts your current way of doing relationship.
2. Start a journal of how it impacts you, specifically when you "stress".
3. Practice mindfulness to gain control over your FOO impulses.
4. If you'd like more help in this area, contact Jimmy and Josh at The Timothy Center. Just go to www.timothycenter.com.